Thursday, November 26, 2015

August 18, 1972 The Early Letter, The Steamy Weather, The Stuffed Quilt, The Moving Boy and The Kitchen Work


Dear Mother,

"This should be a little earlier than usual but I thought I'd better write before the children come. I don't get much of anything done when they are here and I sure don't want to miss anything.  Bob & Pat will be here for supper tonight and I guess Bob & Ann will be here sometime tomorrow night. At least, they haven't called so we hope they are on the road. They were to get the truck early this morning and hoped to be started by noon.

We still don't know how long they will be here but probably just overnight and then they will go to Marshall to get some more furniture before going to Springfield.

After they are all gone we plan to drive toward Toledo and then up the east side of Michigan. We think we'll go to Dearborn Village but that's the only thing we have in mind. We really just want to relax for a few days and will probably be back home Friday. We'll write some cards along the way.

My sewing machine is sure nice. I haven't had a chance to give it much of a try-out but I think I'm really going to enjoy it. The cabinet looks better than I thought it would, too. My old one still sews pretty well and someone could get a lot of good out of it but I don't know whether I can sell it or not. When things settle down I'll advertise it in the paper & see what happens.

Our tomatoes are doing fine now. This hot, steamy weather seems to be good for them. They are high in the store but they never did get reasonable last year. I haven't seen the rabbits for quite a while. They probably hide out while it is so hot but they don't bother the flowers any more.

How many tops do you have finished now? Why don't you piece a quilt for a change? I get rather bored with my cross-stitch and think it would be fun to piece something colorful. I have looked for the pattern of that $2500. quilt but haven't found it and probably won't. It looked as if it was sort of stuffed as it was pieced and I don't think it was quilted. I wish I had examined it better. Long ago I saw a quilt that was made that way (in a magazine) but it was a different pattern and I didn't save the pattern. Quilt making is becoming very popular and the book stores have lots of books on it. I looked thru a few in Chicago Wednesday but didn't have much time. We went to get B some fall clothes so spent most of the day getting that done. He needs a raincoat too, but we'll have to look for that later. His old one can still be worn awhile but it looks pretty shabby.

Ann & Bob both had birthdays this week. Time sure flies. She was 22 and he was 25. We'll have a cake for them when they get home.

We thought the house north of us had been sold but I guess the deal fell thru because there is a new sign up. Maybe it will be full of students this fall. I thought I saw a boy moving in his clothes one day and there is a light at night but I never see anyone around.

I hope it isn't as hot there as it is here. The humidity is so high your clothes feel damp when you go outside.


I guess I'd better get started on my kitchen work."

                     Love,

                          Bonnie

2 comments:

  1. I think Kellogs Corn Flakes must be one of the longest selling products of all time, still going today.
    I remember the "Tony the Tiger" adverts. They were GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT!
    Sorry Ann, couldn't resist that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew someone would say it:-) You get the gold star!

      Delete

I welcome your comments!