Friday, July 31, 2015

March 7, 1970 The Very Pretty Car, The Rabbit's Nest, The Hard Winter, The French President and The Solar Eclipse


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Spring must be trying to get here. Today is a beautiful day and we saw a big flock of geese heading north.

We have been to Chicago and came home with a new car. It is a little lighter green than Ann's with a dark green top--a Buick. We looked last Saturday but had to think a while about it because it is a 1969 model but new. We read about this dealer in a magazine and saw his ad in the Chicago papers. There isn't much difference in the '69 and '70 models so we decided it was a good buy. We had a choice of this one, a grey, or a gold but like the green best. It is very pretty.

We have another rabbit's nest in our front yard, in fact, she has made two and they leave such a big hole.

I know Uncle Floyd is happy to get out in the truck. We heard the St. Louis weather today and it is 60ยบ there. I know if it gets warm so they can be outside a little they will both feel better. All of us will, for that matter. This has been a hard winter on everyone.

We didn't see the French President. I think he arrived the night after we left. Chicago didn't want him to come & I can't say I feel much different. He simply got the kind of reception DeGaulle has been handing us.

B's mom got mixed up about when we were going to Chicago so hadn't written. She just wanted to visit a little bit. I guess Mabel gets around now but is careful.

Ann called yesterday or Thursday, maybe. When I'm gone so much I get mixed up. I was gone Thursday afternoon to As You Like It Club and all day yesterday to a Writers' Workshop.

We haven't heard from Bob & Pat this week but I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't at Virginia Beach this weekend to see the eclipse.  That was to be one of the best places to see it and they camp there sometimes. We get the William & Mary school paper and Muskie is to be their commencement speaker. That should be very interesting.

We're leaving early in the morning for Iowa. I'm going to try to write to Beulah and to Buddy while we're there. B will have to work and I'm hoping they won't have anything at all planned for me. They invited me to come and know I'm coming but I sure don't want to be entertained.


Hope you both are fine."

                         Lots of love,

                            Bonnie

NOTE:  For more on French President Pompidou's March visit to the U.S.: http://www.jta.org/1970/03/02/archive/report-that-pompidou-may-cut-short-his-visit-10000-demonstrate-in-chicago

Watch a news broadcast of the eclipse:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!