Sunday, July 27, 2014

November 17, 1963 The Cold Wind, The Sad Week, The Troubling Hip and The Birthday Towels

Good Housekeeping,  November, 1963
Dear Mother & Daddy,

"It is cold and the wind is blowing hard tonight.  We had a few snow flurries this week but they were hard to see.

I didn't get very far with this for some reason and now it is Saturday night.  I've been going from one thing to another all week so I must have stopped to do something for the kids.  B had a meeting last night & had to have the car and Ann had a late dental appointment so we were rushing around.  All of us are home tonight for a change.

Everyone went to the football game this afternoon but me.  I had a lot of little errands to run and had to get them done.  Ann has her organ lesson at 4:00 and that comes sooner than you expect it to.

Ann did real well on the organ at church last Sunday night.  It was her first experience at playing for a church service and I was real proud of her.  We still don't have our big organ yet but all of us are getting anxious.



This has been a sad week.  Granny Watterson was buried Wednesday.  She had several heart attacks on Sunday & died a little after 10:00 that night.  We were all upset about it for it was so unexpected.  Toni said she looked awful Sat. & Sun. but she was in a Dixon, Ill. hospital, near her daughters, so I didn't see her, of course.  I had written to her though, a few days after she fell and she had had my letter.  She was 70.  The funeral was in Gibson City (32 miles from Bloomington) and she was buried in Strawn. That was her home when her husband was living and until she couldn't take care of her home anymore.
I was there years ago but nothing looked familiar.  We went to the funeral and on to the cemetery & it was such an awful day--wet snow & wind.  She looked so pretty but thin.  The heart attack was bad & the Dr. said there was brain damage so it was a blessing that she didn't have to live long.

Bob isn't using mice for his science project this year.  He's doing something with a certain kind of acid but it is something that hasn't been done so I don't know how far he'll be able to go.

I hope Daddy's hip is better.  Do you have any idea what caused the trouble?

I got Charlotte some towels for her birthday but haven't got them mailed.  Beulah didn't help me a bit with ideas.  I don't even know what kind of an apartment she has."

                    Lots of love,

                       Bonnie

1 comment:

  1. I was making chains of amino acids into protein but the technology then was crude compared to today. The reactions required phosgene which is highly toxic. Mr Cook, my chem teacher, gave me a lot of help and time to make it work.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!