Saturday, April 19, 2014

December 10, 1961 On the Run, A Wintry Day, Gifts for the Forgotten and The Hartford Hospital Fire

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"I've been on the run all day.  We've had supper & the kids want to go to a ballgame but I've talked them out of it, I think.

We've had a real wintry day.  It was snowing when we got up & the streets are slushy and slick now.  It rained & sleeted too & the walks are glazed.

I worked at the Mental Health Society office from 9:00 to 1:00 today.  They are collecting gifts for the forgotten mental patients in the state hospitals and each gift has to be labeled as to what it is & whether it's for man, woman, boy or girl.  Some gifts were nice--others were poor.  Christmas is the saddest as well as the happiest time of the year.

B went to Chicago yesterday and will be home tonight sometime.  Several men went to a meeting in a school car.  The roads are so bad I'll be glad when they get home.

The kids & I went to a church supper last night.  I showed our Bahama pictures.  We had a good time but missed B.

I've about got my cards addressed & a good bit of my shopping done.  The kids want to get the tree tomorrow and maybe we can.  B and I have to help Larsens with a coffee most of the afternoon.

I guess you read about the terrible Hartford Hospital fire.  That is where Bob was born so it made me feel bad.

There isn't much to write and I'd better study my Sunday School lesson.  Hope you both are fine.

Bob was real happy with the stamps.  He doesn't have many China stamps."

                             Lots of love,

                                   Bonnie

NOTE:  16 lives were lost in the fire at Hartford Hospital, believed to have been caused by cigarette ashes tossed down a trash chute.  The incident led to significant changes in hospital building codes nationwide.   For a brief video with news footage, use this link:  http://www.harthosp.org/Portals/1/Images/6/Fire_Anniversary.htm

In 2012, Connecticut Public Television released a documentary on the fire.  Watch below.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!