Sunday, December 8, 2013

September 19, 1959 The Books and Stuff, The Sock Cap and Cotton Gloves, The Teas and The Problem of Curtains

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"The kids are making the most of Saturday & aren't up yet.  Their school began on Wed. afternoon but I think they were glad.  I didn't go with them because they didn't want me to and it made me feel kind of funny.  It is the first time since they started to school that I haven't gone the first day.  I've had to do a lot of running around getting their books and stuff for school so this has been a busy week.  Everyone tries to find used books and I had so many calls about books that I told the kids I was going to open a used book store next fall.

It has been cold but wonderful after the heat.  Bob even complained about the cold and had me get him some cotton gloves to wear to school.  I guess their hands do get cold when they ride their bicycles.

I went downtown a few minutes yesterday to get him a sock cap to wear to school.  You never know what they are going to like.  He wanted a red and white one (school colors) but I had to get a plain red one.  I bought a small black hat for myself.  Since I changed my hair style I can't wear much of a hat.

The teas start next week.  I have to pour at one Monday afternoon, we go to a dinner Friday night, and there is the big tea for new faculty on Sunday.  I still don't have anything ready to wear but I've ordered a jersey dress and an orlon-nylon suit dress in hopes that one of them will fit. 

Our tile trim hasn't come yet and there are still a lot of things to do before we'll feel that the bathroom is finished.  I have to clean the floor with alcohol.  That takes off any mastic.  The curtains are the problem now and I guess I'm going to have to make them.

I finished one of Ann's dresses in time for her to wear it to school Wed. and have another one about done.  She would like to have it for Sunday School tomorrow but I don't know whether I can get it done or not.

(The rest of the letter is missing so I will finish it...)

Hope you both are fine."

                 Lots of love,

                      Bonnie 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!