Thursday, November 14, 2013

April 2, 1959 That Awful Cold, A Load of Dirt, The Shaggy Dog, Art Linkletter and Legal Advice

Ad in Look, March, 1959
 Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Your letter came today and since Bob is busy now I'll just write my weekly letter.  He has been home all week  with that awful cold.  We thought he could go to school this afternoon but when we took his temperature he still had a fever.  We felt so sorry for him because he had taken a bath, put on his new pants and was all ready to go.  He was so disappointed.  I've never seen such a cold.  His head has been closed up since last Saturday and today is the first day he's been able to go without nose drops.

Ann & I went to church alone last Sunday.  She sang in the choir so we dressed up and went.  After church she went to a movie with a little friend.  We had warmed over roast for dinner and stayed home the rest of the day.

We've ordered a load of dirt to put on the front yard (it is so much lower than the drive on one side) but it rained a lot yesterday so I don't know when we'll get it.

I haven't got much done this week.  Bob has had to be entertained and the time has been long for both of us.  I did change some hems for Ann and made another dress for her.  Do you remember the border print Beulah gave her for her birthday last summer?  I made that and it really made a pretty dress.

I haven't been to see Granny all week.  She said Sat. that she might go home this week but I haven't heard.  The rest has been good for her but she can't get into the wheelchair by herself and I can't see how they will manage.  She wanted to get someone to take care of her but Toni didn't want them around.  She also wanted to stay in a nursing home a while too but Watty wouldn't agree to that.

We had a card from Sorensens.  They were in Fiji and should be in Australia by now.  His birthday is Monday and yours will be Tuesday, Mother.  Your package will probably be late if Bob has to stay in longer.  I probably won't be able to go shopping till Sat. afternoon.

I'm so glad Beulah and Nobel look better.  I wrote her a letter a few days ago.

Bob's and Ann's garden is up so maybe we really will have lettuce and radishes one of these days.

I get so mad about that store business that I can't even talk to B about it without bawling.  All their good business & promises don't make sense but I think you ought to go to a good lawyer and tell everything from beginning to end--promises and everything.  Then you would know what, if anything, you can and ought to do.  Perhaps they are hoping you'll give up and sell your shares.  Don't do it.  Don't sell those shares to anyone right now.  They aren't costing you anything to keep them, are they?  Of course I don't know how detailed the statement was but maybe a lawyer could force them to give you an itemized report for the time since they took over.  What about those promises to pay dividends long ago?  I can't figure it but I think it is time to get some legal advice even it it does cost something.  I'd prove to them that I mean business but you won't get anywhere until you get some legal help behind you.  Doesn't Frank O. say anything about this at all or is he getting something.  I can't help but feel that someone is getting dividends and as long as you let him do it, Lloyd is going to stall you off. 

I didn't mean to lecture but this store has kept both of you stirred up from the time Cooks came.  Neither of you will be happy about it until you really know what you can do.

Bob is watching the kids on Art Linkletter's show and laughing so I guess I'll join him.  I've seen more T.V. this week than I usually see in a month."

                                Lots of love to you both,

                                            Bonnie

NOTES:  The Shaggy Dog was released in mid-March, 1959 and I could hardly wait to see it.  Watch the trailer, and then take a look at one of Art Linkletter's "Kids Say the Darndest Things" segments.  Be sure and watch long enough to get the best of the kids' comments.


4 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved Art Linkletter! Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Art Linkletter too and The Shaggy Dog and the original Flubber as well. Wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The movie theater was just a few blocks from home and we could walk. My favorite thing was to go there on Saturday mornings and see 25 cartoons for 25¢!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!