Friday, September 21, 2012

April 5, 1952 Happy Birthday, Working Hard, Getting Fired and Spraying Water


 Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Happy Birthday, Mother!  I hope you have your package by now.  It doesn't look like much but there are three kinds of prize iris.  We went to a nursery and had them send the package so I don't know how big the clumps should be.  They are supposed to bloom this year and are the kind with enormous blossoms.  There is a pink, a mahogany and a pink edged in purple.  They promised to mail them so you'd have them by your birthday so let me know if they haven't come.

It isn't very springlike here.  We have a light snow on and it's cold.  I have a cold and have worked so hard to keep the children from getting one.  I just hope they don't get it.

We expect the Wheelers on Sun. afternoon.  They will freeze if the weather doesn't get better.

My pottery class is all over except for getting our finished pieces after they get fired.  I brought an ash tray and a candy jar home last night.  We can't get the other things for about three weeks because of our Easter vacation.

We haven't found any cabinets we like yet but I've been thinking it might be nice to have book shelves on each end of it for you won't need all that cabinet for the radio but if you should think you might want a record player in it sometime the cabinet will have to be made for it.  We'll keep watching & find one sometime.  B gets radio magazines and catalogs all the time.

Bobby filled his dime bank and we let him spend it for what he wanted.  He bought a fire truck that he can ride.  It has a hose and a pump and really sprays water.  It took the whole 10.00 but is such a nice toy and he has certainly enjoyed it.

Have a nice birthday, Mother."

                 Love,

                       Bonnie

                

NOTE:  Bonnie's parents are pictured below on their wedding day, 1906.  Clyde was 18, Lizzie, 16. 



This is the pin Lizzie was wearing and it looks as if Clyde wore one with her picture as well.


Here they are about 10 years later:


And with Bonnie, 1920.


In about 1949:

And in 1952.



Happy Birthday, Grandmother!

5 comments:

  1. These are wonderful photos, Anne. Your grandparents looked so young on their wedding day. As always, love the blog. Kind regards, Bev

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clyde and Lizzie look so very young don't they? I'm guessing you still have Lizzie's pin as in the photo? Lovely photos as always Ann.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your nice comments and I'm so glad you enjoy the pictures and letters. Yes, they look so young and serious in that picture! And yes, I have the pin and wish I had my granddad's as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    Just wanted to let you know how very much my daughter and I enjoy each and every e mail from you.
    Thank you Ann.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judith! Thank you so very much for writing! For those of you who subscribe via email, I worry that the daily post is a nuisance so I'm especially pleased to learn that it's ok:-) Readers who have read from the very first letter have received about 1500 emails by now so I hope they've kept up with them! I appreciate your thoughtful comment and hope you continue to enjoy the letters, regardless of the decade you are currently reading. Thanks again.

      Delete

I welcome your comments!