Wednesday, July 25, 2012

May 6 and 13, 1950 Poplin and Satin, Rhubarb and Caladium, Retirees and Newcomers, Upset and Skittish and A Peck of Potatoes


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"At last we are having warm days and we can be in the yard without even a sweater.  Bobby wants to stay out all the time and is just worn out at bedtime.  He was so tired last night that he wanted to go to bed at 6:30 but couldn't go to sleep for a long time.  We usually put him to bed between 7:00 & 7:30.  Today has been lovely but the wind has been awful and it is quite a lot cooler now.

We finally found a crib and Bobby is so proud of it.  We had to give $20. for it but it is a nice one and has a good mattress.  We took the old one to the attic and will bring it home to leave when we come next time.  I am going to borrow a small crib from a friend here for the baby and it can use it for 7 or 8 months.  Bobby may be ready to give up his crib by then so we hope to leave one crib with you to keep from having to bring one every time.

I finally finished my bed jacket and a grey poplin skirt this week.  I have satin for a housecoat and want to make that soon before the weather really gets warm.  It is almost impossible to stay inside when the days are so nice and Bobby wants out so badly.  The evenings are short too so it takes me a long time to make anything.

We have two rows of rhubarb in the back yard so I made a pie and canned 2 pints today.  I didn't know I was pulling quite so much and when I got the pie fixed I just canned the rest.  Maybe I can do several pints that way.  The pie sure was good.


I think my caladium bulbs are ruined.  They don't look like they have any life in them but may have.

We didn't know about Gini's baby until we got yours and Mrs. Belshe's letters today.  I like it's name, too.  They will call it Ricky.  We don't know the details--weight etc.  Dot's baby is due the 7th.

I do hope Hortense has better luck with her baby this time.  Maybe she will.  I always felt that they made a mistake by making her go to Springfield for the other one when she could have gone to a Navy hospital.

There is so much going on at school.  We are going to a party Sun. night and to a dinner on Mon. night.  It is to honor the people who are retiring this year.  We are entertaining students on Wed. night and the Newcomer's Club is having it's spring dinner Thurs. night.  I'll be ready to stay home Friday.

We are awfully sorry but we're going to have to send the shirt back.  The sleeves are too short and it wouldn't wear any length of time before the elbows come through, so we'll send it back.  It was fine in every other way and B was real pleased with it.  You change it and just keep it till we come home or until you come.  Get a 15-1/2 - 34.

Hope you are both fine."

                Lots of love,

                     B, Bonnie & Bobby







May 13, 1950

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Tomorrow is Mother's Day and I hope it will be a nice one for you, Mother.  You probably have your little package by now.

We are all fine and plenty busy.  I have started my housecoat but haven't done much on it.  Rosalynn sent me a couple of Gini's smocks which will help a lot.  Even if I have made several things it is hard to keep something fresh to put on.

We went to a party Sunday night and told Bobby when we put him to bed that we were going.  He was terribly upset about it so has been a bit skittish about Marge's coming ever since.  When we went to the dinner at school Monday night we took him and Marge to Wheelers' and he was fine.  The dinner was at 6:00 and we were out by 8:00.  B was in Peoria County doing school work all day Wed. and we entertained students Wed. night.  Thurs. night was the Newcomers dinner at one of the Bloomington hotels.  It really was a nice affair.  This is my last year in that club and I'm going to miss it next year.

We have started housecleaning.  Marge has been here all day and is coming along fine.  I'll have all the curtains to do next week and they sure are dirty.  I borrowed some stretchers.

There are two picnics scheduled next week but we can take Bobby so it will be fun.  One is the club B sponsors so I'm making potato salad and cookies for the whole gang--plan to cook a peck of potatoes.  B doesn't plan to sponsor them next year.  He has been asked by another club and since it is the one that Mr. Schroeder (the older man who died) had, he had more or less promised him he'd take it and they can't have two.

The Index, 1950

You know how Bobby loves cheese.  We got some Limburger spread the other day and gave it to him when he saw it and wanted it.  He was all set to take a big bite when he got a smell.  He put it back on the table real quick and said, "dirty".  We laughed and laughed.  Since then he has learned to like it.

It's a very lovely day and Bobby will want to get out when he wakens so I must stop and get busy."

               Lots of love,

                    B, Bonnie & Bobby

NOTE:  An alleged UFO sighting was the big story of the week.  While it wasn't until July that the photographs were published in Life magazine, the story traveled fast and created a frenzy of interest.  http://www.thelivingmoon.com/49ufo_files/03files2/1950_McMinnville_UFO_Case_Oregon.html


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!