Tuesday, April 24, 2012

October 10, 1946 Shopping, On The Street Where We Live, Perfect Suit Weather and B Takes Pictures

The Grove Street apartment, East Berlin,  1946

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"We are in our apartment at last. Of course, we aren't fixed up yet and have only a little bit of furniture.  The movers went to New Haven Friday so we were all moved by Saturday evening.  The rooms in the apartment are nice sized with lots of light.  There is a lot of work that needs to be done but I'm going to take my time and eventually get the walls painted in the living room and bedroom.  Mr. Hess (the man who owns the house) plans to sand the floors when he has time.  The kitchen, or dining room it really is, has a nice wall-to-wall linoleum and it doesn't need anything done to it.  The sink, cabinets, and stove are all in a pantry which needs painting too.  The bathroom has a built-in tub with a shower.  It is painted but such awful color combination that I plan to do it over too.

This may sound like the place is terrible but it is very nice and has lots of possibilities.  If we get it fixed up like we want it will be fine.  B had only one class yesterday so we spent the entire day shopping.  We bought a maple breakfast set and hunted and hunted for a rug.  We want a gray twist and found one.  7-1/2 x 9 but that is entirely too small.  The man said he would try to get us one but we're afraid it would never come.  This was in Hartford and was an Alexander Smith rug.  We plan to go back to Hartford Saturday and look around a bit more.  We also looked at an antique refrigerator yesterday but they wanted $125. for it and it wasn't worth $25.  I'll do without one before I give that.

I didn't get to see about the machine since we went to New Haven Friday.  It was too late by the time the movers came and loaded up.

It is so quiet and peaceful out here.  There is one house next door and a school house across the road--that is all on this street.  It is lots of fun watching the school kids.

I can't remember what I've told you about this place and I lost your last letter when we moved so I can't answer questions if you asked any.

Tomorrow is club day and if the weather is suitable I'm going to wear my velvet suit.  It was too hot last time so this will be the first time I've warn it.  I made a long sleeved white blouse to wear with it.  There is eyelet ruffling around the cuffs and neck and it's just a shirt waist.

I keep thinking about you moving.  I wish I could be there to help you for it is such a job.  The next time we move I hope it is into our own house so we won't have to move anymore.  When you clean out the attic, don't forget my old doll.  It's in a box.  You'll be smart to keep your furniture.  After we shopped around a bit we were plenty glad we had a few pieces.

I wish you could see Conn. this time of the year.  The grass is still green everywhere but the woods are all colors.  It is perfect suit weather but we have to have heat in the house.

B's slide, Oct., 1946


Sunday morning B took some pictures for one of the college teachers.  He has just bought an old house and they are fixing it up.  The house was built in 1765 and is in good shape.  They are painting, landscaping, and tearing down some outbuildings but they want pictures before and after the work is done.  There are 113 acres of land and they plan to raise Angus cattle after he retires from the college.

I hope I have a letter from you today.  Tell Beulah to write to me.  Hope you're all feeling fine."

                     Lots of love,

                              B & Bonnie

Bonnie's Doll c 1850--see notes below

NOTES from Ann:  The doll was originally owned by a child who was killed when her parent's buggy was hit by a train.  She was a cousin of Bonnie's grandmother who was six years old at the time.  The doll was given to Bonnie's grandmother (Allie).  Allie gave the doll to Bonnie in about 1926.  The underclothes and dress were Bonnie's father's baby clothes.  The beads are moonstone,  put on to cover the repaired break on the dolls neck.   Bonnie made a dress for the doll in order to protect the delicate Christening clothes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!