Friday, January 20, 2012

October 9, 1942 The Laundry, The Pie and The Tablecloth


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"I washed on Monday and didn't get everything dry till Tuesday.  It was such a gloomy day and threatened rain all day.  I ironed Tuesday.  This woman has everything so handy here.  She has a Maytag and two regular laundry sinks.  You just turn the water on to fill the tubs and open the drain to empty them.  It's a regular lazy man's way of doing a wash.  Laundry prices are awful.  Billy Young sent 2 suits of underwear, a pair of pajamas and 3 shirts.  They charged him $1.38.  He's sending it home to Springfield now for his mother to do.


The rest of the time I've been crocheting.  I have three blocks on my tablecloth.  I'm using the same pattern as your pillow top.  Do you think I'll really make a tablecloth?

Our apartment is just about fixed up.  They are having a hard time finding a refrigerator so they brought us an icebox until they can get one.  Yesterday I made a pumpkin pie.  It was good, too.  I have a dandy stove.  I bought a dozen eggs Saturday and gave .38 for them.  They were small (Pullet eggs) but fairly nice."

Love,

    B & Bonnie

The tablecloth in progress

Pumpkin Pies

2 or 3 eggs
1- 1/2  c. sugar
2 T flour
1 t salt
2 t cinnamon
1 t nutmeg
1 t ginger
2-1/2 cups cooked, mashed pumpkin
1/4 cup molasses
2 cups evap. milk

Beat eggs and add sugar, flour, salt & spices.  Stir in molasses, pumpkin & milk.  Pour into 2 unbaked crusts.  Put in a 450 preheated oven for 10 min.  Reduce heat to 350 for 30 min. or till firm.

"good for quick family dessert" Impossible Pumpkin Pie

3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup Bisquick baking mix
2 T margarine
1 can evap. milk
2 eggs
1 can pumpkin
2-1/2 t pie spice
2 t vanilla

Beat all ingredients until smooth, 2 minutes with hand beater.  Pour into greased pie plate.  Bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!